Dear God

Posted on September 28th, 2011

Dear God,

I write just a few hours before Rosh Hashana.

I write with overwhelming gratitude in my heart for a wonderful life.

I live in a land that glows with your holiness, a land where my ancestors once lived.

And I am privledged to be part of a movement that seeks to rebuild this amazing land and maybe in my own small way, I have contributed to this rebirth. And I am thankful.

I am privledged to have a job that is more than just a paycheck, a job where I can feel that I am helping defend my country from her enemies. And I am thankful.

I am privileged that I can still run farther than most people drive and compete in races at an age where most people think that getting the mail is exercise. And I am thankful.

I am privileged to have so many friends that I can count on when the chips are down without question. And I am thankful.

Of course I am thankful that I have four wonderful children. I watch them growing up and relish each accomplishment. From Dvrei Torah to sacks and touchdowns, each one in their own way shows me how special they are and how much potential they have.

But most of all, I am thankful that you brought me and Stella together so many years ago. In twenty-six years, we have journeyed very far in so many ways. From hockey games to Grateful Dead concerts to building sukahs and Yom Ha’atzmaut celebrations, we have had a diverse range of experiences. And through good times and challenging times, we have been together and if anything, we have grown closer every year that passes.

And so, I feel that I have led an amazing life, and that I should thank you for allowing me to live out my dreams — whether its running marathons, defending Israel from her enemies, or just sitting back and admiring the view of the Holy Land from this hilltop village we call Neve Daniel.

But as the holiest time of the year gets closer — a time when Jewish tradition says that you are most attentive to our prayers, I have a request to make.

I want more.

I want you to take this sickness away from my wife.

Because as happy as I have been, I could not imagine life without her.

It is the dark thought that lives in my head now.

But it’s not just about me, and what I want.

It’s not just my request.

From Syracuse to Colgate to Potomac to Neve Daniel, there are countless people who have experienced Stella’s kindness. Her selfless devotion to everyone she comes in contact with is just what the World needs. For all those she has comforted — from the elderly looking for a friend to share their stories with to the young looking for a hug and a smile — the World needs Stella.

But even more than that — our children need their mother.

They need to have the unconditional love and belief that they can really accomplish anything that comes from their Japanese Jewish mother. If strangers benefit from her kindness, they depend on it even more.

They need her smile as much as her sushi.

But forget what I said earlier — maybe it does come back to me.

I need Stella as much as I need the air I breathe and the food I eat. I would give away everything I have ever valued if it would make her better.

Every step I have run, ever kilometer I have biked, everything I have ever been proud of means nothing to me without Stella. I would give them all back in a moment in exchange for her health.

I know that there are things way beyond my comprehension. I don’t have the remotest clue how an iPad works so it’s no surprise that I can’t understand why bad things happen to good people, to amazing people, to my person.

But I also know that you are listening.

You listen to my prayers and to those springing forth from around the world. From Australia to Ireland to Potomac, and, of course, from right here in your special land, you are hearing the prayers — the cries of a mass of people.

So I am begging you. Out of your compassion for so many people, grant her a cure.

Whatever ultimate reason there is for her condition — and I am not doubting that you have a reason that I could never in a million years understand — I have a more important reason why her condition needs to be reversed.

The world needs more love and kindness and compassion that is Stella’s very being.

So this is just my plea.

But we will talk more about it soon.

If you really desire tears at Rosh Hashana, you are about to get a flood.

Let the New Year be loaded with health and happiness for us and all your people.

Sincerely,

Yarden Frankl, Neve Daniel

Related content:

1. Seeds of the Pomegranate

Comments

Since I don’t have any words, and I can’t see through the tears: <3

2. Lavis says:

אמן אמן אמן. כן יהי רצון

3. Annick Abrams says:

Dear God please listen closely to Yarden’s words. They are so very important for him, Stella and so many people. By helping Stella you’d help so many others-now that’s sound investing. Please grant her a complete turn around.

4. Melody Hartuv says:

Yarden and Stella,

I hope and pray that Hashem answers your plea and all of our requests for Stella’s complete recovery. Once upon a time, when my mother was very, very ill, her doctor told me that many doctors believe that they are G-D; that they can predict what our future will be. He than reminded me that their is only One true Doctor and He is the One that determines what will be. With all the tefillah that has been sent His way, I have a really good feeling that things are going to be positive. Hang in there and remember that there are thousands praying for your cure. L’Shana Tova and Stella, may Hashem write you in the Book of Life!

5. Ruth says:

amen! HaShem is about to get a flood of tears from all corners of the world to heal Stella. Count on that.

6. Offir Dor says:

Yarden – you know we are all behind you and Stella and your family .
    Shana Tova and may Hashem answer your prayers

7. Yitzchak Rubenstein says:

May I modestly contribute my flood of heartfelt tears to Yardens tefilla, as the most powerful possible AMEN. We do not talk much — if at all —- but my continual tefillot must somehow commune with your neshamot. May we be blessed to see God where we need Him and not to continually have to try to understand why we dont…… May the New Year bring New Strength and New Blessings

8. Marcy says:

We all pray for the same thing.

9. elana says:

Stella and Yarden , thinking of you often and very much on rosh hashana. praying for a swift recovery and that you have the stregnth to cope with what is ahead of you.
    shana tova

10. Jen says:

Extremely powerful, and so should our tefilot be! כתיבה וחתימה טובה to all!

11. Carla Friedman says:

Your words are so beautiful and to the heart. The world needs more Stella’s who bring light to the world and who cause others to do the same. We pray for all of you on this Rosh Hashanah and pray that G-d will bring not only healing for Stella, strength for all of you but also more Stella’s so that we have true community in our lives. Thank you Yarden for your words. It sets the tone for this holiday. Love and hugs to all of you.

12. The Kaufmann's says:

Amen, Amen, Amen, ken y’hi ratzon! G’mar chasima tova! We never stop thinking of you and davening for you.

13. Rebekah says:

This is so beautifully written and I am also sure that God is hearing you. May you feel strength from the Shofar and may God raise you up from the valley of the shadow of death.

Although, I am practically a stranger, as your Jewish sister, I love you and love Stella.

Warmly,
    Rebkeah

14. Larry Shor says:

May Hashem hear your most elequent prayer and grant dear Stella a Refuah Shelaimah! I will be leading the davvening during the Yomim Naroim and I will certainly have you and Stella and your family in my thoughts as I approach the bimah. I wish you a Shana Tovah and may Hashem answer ALL of your prayers.
    Love to you all Larry Shor and family

Thank you Yarden for your beautiful article expressing so many of our sentiments. You have so many friends all over the world, know that our hearts will be davening in unison-despite the time zone difference-for Stella’s recovery. May Hashem answer all of our prayers.

16. We will pray for your wife and family in Santa Fe, as well.

לשנה טובה תכתבו ותחתמו לאלתר לחיים טובים ולשלום

Amen v’amen. L’Shana, Tova, please G-d bring peace and happiness to all of us in the coming year, and especially hear the pleas of Yarden and Stella and all those who care for them so much.

18. rick geiger says:

HaShem, I write on Rosh Hashanah, the days when you make the world all over, to beg you to save Stella and let her remain among us for many more years, HaShem you are beneficent and merciful and I thank you for showing your loving kindness to Stella and Yarden and their family.

19. Joshua Frankl says:

Cousin,

What a wonderful letter/prayer for a wonderful person. Know that our prayers and tears are included and we all hope, pray and cry for you and yours.

Thoughts and prayers for a wonderful year filled with happiness, HEALTH, prosperity and peace.

Love from all to all,

Josh

20. Sharon Baratt says:

Dearest Yarden and Stella,

G’mar chasima tova! Stella, may G-d grant you a complete refuah shleimah. You are always in my prayers – and I believe that you are in the prayers of so many people around the world. Yarden, may G-d grant you your heartfelt requests and return good health to Stella ASAP.

With love,
    Sharon

21. Sally Mayer says:

We are also praying with all our hearts for Stella’s recovery and for a lot of koach for the whole family. We think about you all the time. Birkat Hashem Aleichem, Love, Sally

22. Sarah Barak says:

Amen v’amen. I was thinking about y’all and davening for you on Rosh Hashana.

23. Lewis says:

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, love, Eli and Noa