God is Listening

Posted on November 24th, 2011

Five months ago Stella and I sat in the Oncology Department of Shaari Tzedek and were told that she  had no chance.

We were told that Stella had stomach cancer that had progressed too far to be operable. The cancer had spread outside her stomach and could not be cured.

We were told that Stella needed immediate chemotherpy. The chemo would make her terribly sick, and the best we could hope for was that it could slow the spread of the disease.

We have lived with an impending nightmare since that moment.

We just came back from a meeting at the hospital.

In the next few weeks, Stella will have an operation.

If successful, she will be cured.

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

(Breathe)

I know and want everyone to understand, that it is major surgery and that there are a lot of risks. First will have to do an exploratory examination. They may find problems not revealed by the latest scans and have to stop.

But they may not. If everything looks good, they will continue the operation.

And then….

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

(breathe)

What happened in the last five months to reverse the diagnosis?

I think the answer is pretty clear.

If you are reading this, I think you must be one of the thousands of people around the world who have been praying for Tzuriya Kochevet Bat Sarah.

Or maybe you are one of the people who sponsored my bike ride and gave to charity in Stella’s name.

Or maybe you are one of the kind souls who have kept our spirits up with e-mails, comments, visits, and chicken soup.

Whatever you have done, you have helped save Stella’s life.

Thank you.

Now I know we are not quite ready to put on the party hats because it is still too early to do that. There is still more chemo and an operation and a hospital stay and a recovery. We should not get ahead of ourselves because the coast is not clear.

But you know what?

Hell, I’m putting on my party hat now.

And if you think I talk loudly, my heart is screaming out loud right now.

And most importantly.

Thank You G-d.

-Yarden Frankl, Neve Daniel

Comments

1. ruthie benamou says:

Amazing!!! Baruch hu uvaruch shemo!! Thank you for the wonderful news! We will keep praying and doing mitzvot for Stella

2. Rochie says:

Baruch Hashem! Amazing amazing news. We are really happy for you guys and will keep davening that you continue to get the best and easiest outcomes.

3. Yaelle says:

I am crying with hope and joy – and we will keep up davening!

4. David Pollak says:

What a great way to spend Thanksgiving…………………..I’m sending this to my dear friend whose wife is in a very similar situation………….unfortunately very similar!

Enjoy!!

5. Gary Swickley says:

You are both amazing. Keep up the good work (You, too, G-d!)

6. dassi says:

this is wonderful news :-)! just reminding you stella, what we said when you missed eli’s monday am brit milah- that we are expecting you at his bar mitzvah! i can’t wait to remind you then about what we said now. keep up the good work, guys!
    love, dassi and dan

I can only shake my head, wipe my eyes, and doven for Stella with renewed fervor. Please G-d, cure this wonderful woman.

8. Raizi Rosen says:

I love party hats. And I love when doctors are wrong in their doomsday predictions. Tzuriya Kochevet bat Sarah, may you continue to demonstrate the power of prayer. For now, we continue our Tefilot. I’m looking forward to a funny hat party!

Thank you, G-d. Please give us reason to scream “THANK YOU G-D!!!” from the rooftops in the coming weeks. With love and kavod for Your great power — one of your daughters, one of Tzuriya Kochevet bat Sarah’s sisters

10. Valerie Corbett says:

Oh Yarden.. How good is G-D… eh!

11. Miriam Bloch says:

Dear Stella and Yarden
    I never respond to your articles although sometimes I go through in my mind everything that i want to say. But right now I can’t get the smile off of my face and the soaring feeling inside. I am so happy for you both as well as for all of us that can continue seeing your smiling face in Neve daniel.
    Love Miriam

12. I don’t even know you guys but I love you already. I bless Stella with miracle after miracle after miracle. Od meir V’esreem!
    My husband is also a new immigrant and at Brit Millah’s he always says’ “Ode Meir V’esreem.” Am Yisroal Chai!

13. Joshua Strahl says:

Yarden, I just finished a 10K race, and the entire run I was thinking about Stella – where she started, how far she has come, and as I neared the finish line I asked “God, how much farther for her?”. Then I got back to my car and read your post. I have tears of joy in my eyes. Never ever quit. I know you won’t.

14. Baruch says:

OMG that is amazing news!!!!!!! I just had a little cry…

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

She will be cured.

She will be cured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Miriam says:

What a beautiful postings! May you only have good news to post.
    Shabbat Shalom
    Miriam

16. Yitzchak says:

I too am crying with joy and hope and trust. You guys through your words and deeds and emotions have done more to generate emuna and real connectedness to HaSHem than libraries of seforim and hours of derashot and shiurim. May all this ginormous zechut zoom in like the sharpest most focused laser on those cancer cells

17. Tova Rubenstein says:

Amazing, awesome, unbelievable, wonderful…..
    I don’t know what to write except to echo Ruti’s prayer. May our cheek muscles continue to ache from smiling and joy. May we continue to have reasons for overwhelming prayers of thanks
    Thank You Hashem!!

18. Shimona says:

Everyone of my tears is filled with overwhelming emotion- How we have prayed for this possibility to become a reality… We will continue to be with you both (and the kids!!) every step of the way, and our prayers will take on new gratitude and strength for Stella’s COMPLETE recovery!! May Hashem continue to answer all our tefillot for the good-
    My party hat is ready (and it’s a doozy)!!!!!

19. דפנה says:

כרגיל – אתם מצליחים לרגש אותנו. הפעם לטובה
    נמשיך להתפלל.
    בריאות בריאות בריאות !

20. Moishe Lewack says:

B-A-R-U-C-H H-A-S-H-E-M!
    B-A-R-U-C-H H-A-S-H-E-M!
    B-A-R-U-C-H H-A-S-H-E-M!

I am so happy for you both, at this moment. We will continue to daven for a successful operation, a successful recovery, and more wonderful news from Gush Etzion from you both (and from your friends and neighbors there too!). May only Simchas grace these pages from now on!

21. Sharon says:

I am crying joyous tears!!!! Baruch Hashem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May G-d grant you an easy surgery with no complications, no other issues in your abdomen, and a very easy recovery!

With much love

22. Shoshi Cohen says:

Amazing, wonderful, miraculous news! The tfillot will definitely continue as we look forward to Stella’s refuah SHELAYMAH!

23. Moshe Feldman says:

I feel so happy for you! If Hashem granted you this much, surely (with continued prayers, of course) He will get you to the finish line.

24. Rob Feldman says:

Nowhere near out of the woods, but alot closer than before….we will keep praying for you!

25. Samara says:

So happy to hear this news. I remember the terribly sick feeling I had when we were first informed that and operation was not possible, and now this operation is on the horizon. It’s is just unbelievable. If at any time the kids would like to stay with us, our home is of course open for them.

26. Rebekah says:

You asked in a way to get God’s attention.

27. aviva rosen says:

What amazing news! Thank you Hashem for listening to our prayers!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

28. Lori and Eric says:

DITTO!! Thank you Hashem for answering all our prayers for Stella and Yarden! We will keep davening and pray for a complete Refuah Shelaimah. Thinking of you! Lori and Eric

29. carol ginsberg says:

I’m going to put something special on my head too (party hat?,) and then I shall continue my tefilot for Tzuriya Kochevet Bat Sarah, more fervently than ever. May her recovery be complete and speedy.

30. Genendy says:

Jordan and Stella you are so inspiring!! Jordan I’m waiting for you to write a book, “Longing For the Dawn”
    Love,
    Genendy

31. Genendy says:

Jordan I’m waiting for you to write a book, “Longing For the Dawn”
    Love,
    Genendy

32. Batya says:

Doctors aren’t G-d.

33. Vicki Spetter says:

Dear Stella & Yarden,

What wonderful news:). Stella has been in my thoughts the past several months. I wish you both the best, most positive thoughts and outcome on this arduous journey!

Hugs & warm wishes to you both!!!
    XOXO,
    Vicki

34. Debra P says:

WOW! Baruch Hashem, such amazing news. Keep fighting Stella!

35. Esther says:

This is amazing! I just read about Stella in last week’s Jerusalem Post -what a special person & a special family! Kol Hakavod to all you wonderful people who are helping & praying for her. May Hashem grant her a full recovery. And if I may ask, could you add in a prayer for Hilla bat Batya, from your neighbouring yishuv, who is bravely battling a similar situation.

Shabbat Shalom & Refuah Shlema,
    Esther

36. Sarah Cohen says:

Rosh Chodesh Kislev…a time for miracles!!! Crying i’m so happy

37. Linda says:

הודו לה’ כי טוב!!! Hodu l’Hashem Ki tov!!! (another reason to eat hodu on thanksgiving :) xoxoxoxxo keeping up the prayers , Linda

38. Miriam Poch says:

What wonderful news. Hashem IS listening. May HE continue to answer all of our prayers for a Refuah Shlaima and many years of health and happiness. We are waiting for the party. Shabbat Shalom Miriam.

39. Melody Hartuv says:

Wow! I can’t see my keyboard clearly through my tears of happiness for you both and for Klal Yisroel. Thanksgiving will have a whole new meaning for your family from now on. May your strength continue through the months to come and may we hear only terrific news. Stella, you’re going to be a real “star” in all those medical journals; show those doctors that they have know idea Who they are dealing with. Isn’t G-D great?!

40. Karen says:

Wow. Just – wow.

I think Purim would be a good time for a party. For a seudat hodaya. You already have the hat. :)

41. Mendel Gottesman says:

Dear Yarden & Stella – may הקבה continue to shine on you both! May His brachot & refuot continue and bring you strength, emunah & bitachon.

All our love

42. Bernice Cohen says:

What wonderful news – we will continue to pray, do mitzvot, and have you in our thoughts every day for a complete Refuah Shelaima. May Hashem continue to hear our tefillot for Stella. Always thinking of you Stella and sending our love your way! xoxoxo Bernice and Eddie

43. Jill says:

May He who blessed Sarah, Rivka, Rachel and Leah continue to bless Tsuriya Cochevet Bat Sarah with a perfect healing of body, mind and soul and may she and her loving husband continue to be an inspiration and a source of hope and healing for all of us, for the entire People Of Israel and for the Righteous of All Nations.

44. Judy Simon says:

Isn’t it wonderful that G-d is in charge, and the doctors are only His assisstants! Continued strength, continued prayers, and continued WONDERFUL NEWS!!!

45. Avigail says:

I am so thrilled to hear the update and am rooting for you!
    G-d is truly great!

46. yonatan segal says:

You taught us an important life lesson. If you can be thrilled to the news that your wife has stomach cancer and will soon have a serious operation to be saved – what should we feel, if everything is o.k. with us? Just thankful !

Your story can give hope and strength to many.

47. Donna says:

thank-god for hope, thank god for love, thank god for people like you who inspire all of us with your steadfast belief in the power of good deeds. May your struggles continue to bear the positive outcome that we all pray for. Your love inspires mine.