Stella’s Army

Posted on January 1st, 2012

Last night I lay in bed next to Stella watching the e-mails and comments come in from members of “Stella’s Army.” We were in the hospital and I was much relieved that the night staff did not try and throw me out of bed. I guess Israeli hospitals are different. When I asked someone if they were going to bring bedding and hospital pajamas for Stella, he pointed me in the direction of a closet and let me know that it is really self-service here (although they did not ask me to put in the IV.) On the other hand, I don’t know if I could have gotten away with crawling into the bed with Stella anywhere else, so all things considered, so far so good.

Around 2:00 AM, I considered getting up and writing a post. But I didn’t want to disturb Stella (not that she really needs sleep now!) Also, I was not sure exactly what I would write. So I just watched the e-mails and comments come in over my iPhone. And that’s when I realized what I wanted to write.

It both amazes me and doesn’t surprise me how many people from all around the world and from all stages of Stella’s life are writing in. It amazes me because there is literally an Army of people who are as nervous about this surgery as I am. Stella was trying to write everyone back but every time she send one e-mail, a few more come in. We have people from Syracuse, from Colgate, Maryland, and all over. People are going to holy places to pray for Stella and constantly reminding me that they want to help and I should just say the word if we need anything.

I thought maybe I would send an e-mail out saying “Stella needs chicken soup, can anyone help?” just to see if we could get in the Guinness World Record Book for largest broth-based swimming pool.

But then at the same time that I am amazed, I am not really all that surprised. And neither are you.

Stella is exceptional and has touched many, many lives.

Love and concern for Stella has motivated so many people to do so many good things. But most important, I hope that anyone who has been following the situation will do one small (actually huge) thing, every single day.

Value your time and those you love. Look your spouse in the eyes every day and tell them how much they mean to you.

The sun rises every day, and all of us assume that tomorrow’s sunrise will be similar to today’s. We fool ourselves by thinking that we have unlimited sunrises and we can always have those important conversations tomorrow, or next week, or next year. But let’s all decide not to be stupid. We can find meaning and fulfillment every second if we just look.

O.K.,sorry to get so heavy on all of you.

It’s almost time. There are a number of stages of the operation and to proceed, each stage has to be successful.  So ironically, the longer the surgery – the better. I will try and keep you updated. I have unlimited internet and coffee and that can be a dangerous combination.

I know that many of you would like to visit Stella, but let’s hold off for awhile. E-mail or call me and I will let you know. I am going to assume that Stella will not be up for visits until the end of the week. If you really have the need to visit someone, pop by my house and see my father. Ask him about his days in the Navy or something. He would love to meet you.

O.K. — That’s it for now.

I wonder if they got a treadmill somewhere in this place.

Thanks for listening.

LiveStrong,

Yarden

Shaare Zedek Hospital, Jerusalem

No related content found.

Comments

1. Valerie says:

Our thoughts and prayers are with all the Frankels, especially today.

2. Sharon A says:

Soup will be at your door in an hour when you need it!

3. Hudi K says:

We’re rooting for you!

4. Dassi says:

Thanks Yarden for your updates as always. Keeping Stella and all of you in our thoughts/prayers throughout the day; chizku ve’imtzu. Love and tefillot for geulot and yeshuot from Dassi, Dan, and kids

5. elana says:

thinking about you constantly, hoping for you , praying for you.

6. Mush says:

What does your father like to drink? I probably won’t be able to keep up with him but hopefully the chevra will come on board!

7. Jen says:

Thinking of you,
    Jen

8. tzipporah says:

from your posts i can understand that stella is an exceptional warm human being……and you yarden are quite remakable…loving, caring…stella is blessed……. and with all our prayers blanketing her for a refuah,b’ezrat hashem she will be healed and back home with her beautiful family…kol tov

9. Malkah Fleisher says:

Sending out our prayers for a total and speedy recovery to our Neighbor and Har HaBayit!

10. Karyn says:

Praying with you, every step of the way!

11. Gary Swickley says:

Praying for a full and speedy (real speedy, not speedy like you think you run) recovery.

Much love from Coach, Mrs. Coach, and all the little soldier boys.

13. Melody Hartuv says:

Yarden, may Hashem grant you strength, may He grant the doctors the ability to complete their job and may He grant Stella a complete and speedy recovery. May we only share good news.

14. Bracha says:

There’s a cardiac rehab gym in Shaare Zedek that definitely has treadmills. And you’d definitely be the fastest person on them…

15. Ah, but my chicken soup would get there first! And I actually have a ton left over from Shabbos. Davening and looking forward to good news.

16. Valerie says:

Across the pond and around the world, our hearts are intertwined with one-united-single thread in a tapestry of hope and prayer. We are ALL near, but Hashem is nearer.

17. carol ginsberg says:

“Stella’s Army” is in high gear. May her recovery be quick and complete. We are davening hard!

18. Bonnie says:

I am davening for Stella and for all of you- May Hashem bring her an immediate refuah and this surgery should be the very last of all suffering and challenges for your entire family. Amen!

19. miriam says:

My thoughts and prayers have been with with you all night and will continue. First thing I did when I got up was to see ay news. We.ll be waiting and davening! All our love

20. Samara says:

Praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. What ever you might need, whenever it might be, please call on us. We’re here for you and the kids every step of the way.

Samara

21. Bernice Cohen says:

Our thoughts and prayers are here with you in Silver Spring, Md. A successful and speedy recovery is all we are thinking about for beautiful Stella.

22. Michelle Swartz says:

Lots of love and tefillos!

23. The Kaufmann's says:

All of us are with you

24. Rebecca says:

The heavy is okay to hear. Everyone needs a reminder once in a while to really appreciate every day with our spouse and family. May Hashem bless Stella with an immediate Refuah Shleimah!

25. Fay Clymer says:

Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all…shalom and much love..xo:)Mrs C

26. Phyllis and Harold says:

Can’t really get the chicken soup to you from Potomac, but hopefully our warm thoughts and prayers will be just as effective. Love from all of us!

27. Moshe Feldman says:

Yarden,

Your post made me cry as I recited Tehillim.

B’ezrat Hashem, you will read your inspirational message many years from now and each time you do, it will deepen your relationship with Stella!

Moshe

28. Larry Shor says:

Wishing a successful outcome and a Refuah Shelaimah for dear Stella! Tehillim said and Mi Shebeyrach made at Beth Sholom in Potomac this morning! May we only hear good news.

With Much Love
    The Shors

29. Moishe Lewack says:

B”H
    Know that Pam and I are with you in spirit, here in Maryland. We’ll continue to daven until, Meretz Hashem, you both will conquer this scourge and return to your normal lives.

30. We are davening and are inspired by the journey and support. May Hashem carry you through these next weeks with His love and mercy, and may you always draw strength from seeing His hand very step of the way.

31. Sam & Susie P from LA says:

I hope the surgeons and nurses have your wisdom, strength, and faith. We’re thinking of you.

32. Jill says:

Davaning for both of you and for everyone involved in your care and comfort. May the Almighty hold you and yours in the palm of His hand and may he grant all of Bnei Yisrael and Tzaddikei Olam rest from their burdens and the joy of His Presence.

33. nurit rashi says:

Dearest dearest Stella,
    I think good thoughts of you and pray for you. B”H you’ll get well soon.
    Love and hugs and kiss,
    Nurit Rashi.

34. Aunt Rhea and Uncle Bob says:

We are thinking of you and praying for a successful operation and a healthy 2012.
    All the Frankls are forming a rooting squad and send our love and best wishes to you. May everything go well and recuperation be quick.

35. Lauren Lieberman says:

Sending much love. Thanks for the updates – they are such a gift for all of us who love Stella.

36. Reva & Levy Van Leeuwen says:

We think of you every day and we’re davening for Stella’s refuah shelayma, for her speedy and complete recovery. May we merit hearing good news soon. Levy & Reva

37. Esther and Yitzchak Van Leeuwen says:

Crossing the Yarden… do you remember the first “crossing”? back in 2005? WOW! You, Tzuria Kochevet and your amazing kids have crossed so many “Yarden”s since, always couragous, daring, inspiring and at the same time taking time to see the bright side of life… Never did I read in “Crossing the Yarden” of anything that made you crossed! You two and your kids are a continuing example of Emunah for us and we wish you all a Refu’ah Shlema!
    Esther, Yitzchak, Re’ut, Ya’ir and Efrat.

38. The Engel Family says:

Our whole family is davening and baking challah for a refuah for beautiful Stella, and for the continued strength of your most wonderful family. Our hearts go our to you in what you are enduring and wish to tell you how much your family has meant to us and how much you are loved.